Career Development Office
100 Law Center
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
Every semester UHLC is provided with work study funds for students who are performing work out in the legal community. Students who are working with our partner organizations and can demonstrate financial need may be eligible to earn compensation for work performed. Partner organizations include:
(1) Harris County District Attorney’s Office
(2) Lone Star Legal Aid
(3) Harris County Public Defender’s Office
(4) City of Houston Legal Department
(5) Texas Civil Rights Project
(6) U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, Office of the Associate Chief Counsel
(7) Fort Bend County District Attorney's Office
(8) Disabilty Rights Texas
(9) Houston Bar Foundation Veterans Legal Initiative
Work study students are paid approximately $15/hr until their original award amount is exhausted (a maximum of $4,000). If enrolled in a class, students may not work more than 20 hours per week. Students cannot receive work study funds and academic credit for the same internship. The number of work study awards and the amount of the individual awards is determined by the amount of funding the Law Center receives from main campus, which varies each semester.
In order to apply for work study funds, students must:
(1) Secure a placement with one of our partner organizations
(2) Download and complete the application here. Please note that as part of the application process, you are required to meet with Laura Neal in Financial Aid and obtain her signature to certify that you are eligible for participation in the program. Completed applications must be turned in to Bhavika Shah in the Career Development Office by the following deadlines:
Fall semester - July 15th
Spring Semester - November 15th
Summer - April 30th
(3) Applications will be sent to the Scholarship Committee for final award determinations.
Award announcements will be made closer to the start of each semester. The date of the award announcement is wholly contingent upon when UHLC learns of the amount of funding it will receive from main campus, which again, varies each semester.
*Please note that if you are accepted into the work study program, it can take several weeks to complete the paperwork and get set up in the UH payroll system. Students accepted into the program are encouraged to diligently check their email and complete all set up instructions in a timely manner as students cannot be paid for any time worked prior to being set up in the UH payroll system.