University of Houston Law Center Logo


Contact 713-743-2182 with questions.  

How can I check to make sure I’m on schedule to graduate?

Degree Audit/Check - We highly recommend/encourage all students to make an appointment with Samantha Ary (,  Academic Records Coordinator,  to have a degree audit/check completed before your last semester. This is the only way to make sure that you know exactly what you will need to graduate.  Email either staff member to set an appointment and prior to your appointment, fill out and print the Graduation Check form ( Note: LLM students must contact Suzanne Gordon for a Graduation Check/Review,

Degree Requirements  –  You will find the degree requirements in the Student Handbook ( ).   

Credits -  90 hours are required for graduation with 2.33 minimum GPA.    In addition to the 1st year required curriculum, each student must complete the following courses at the Law Center to graduate:

Professional Responsibility Course  – 3-hour Professional Responsibility course must be taken and a passing grade received.

Upper Level Writing Requirement - Students can only satisfy this requirement, (1) by completing a writing seminar (designated by prefix "WRS") and earning a grade of "C" or better; or (2) by taking a writing course (designated by the prefix "WRC") and earning a grade of "C" or better.  See the Student Handbook more information.

Required Practice Skills Course – (Applies to students entering before Fall 2016) Students must take and pass a course that satisfies the "Practice Skills" requirement. The courses that satisfy this requirement are identified on each course schedule. There is a tab at the top of each semester's schedule that will allow you to view the specific classes that meet the Practice Skills requirement. Courses that satisfy the requirement can be for two, three or four credits.

Experiential Course Requirement – (Applies to students entering fall 2016 and after) – Students must take and pass one or more experiential course(s) totaling at least six credit hours. An experiential course must be a simulation course, a law clinic, or a field placement.

Filing for Graduation – to officially graduate from the university, all students must file a Graduation Application online through your  MyUH Access/PeopleSoft account by the designated filing deadline.  Click on the “Apply for Graduation” link listed under your Student Center.

See Academic Calendar for deadlines,

Timely Filing Fee - $25                               Late Filing Fee - $50

2022 University Commencement for the Law Center