Scholarships & Financial Aid

The UHLC is unique in that it houses a financial aid advisor within the Law Center. The advisor services only law students and serves as an extension of the central campus financial aid department. Law students should correspond with the Law Center advisor so that your financial aid file is complete as this will assist with a more timely awarding of financial aid. The main campus financial aid office, located in room 120 of the Welcome Center, will assist you in the absence of the Law Center advisor.

All aid programs funded by federal and state government agencies, sponsoring individuals, or the College may be changed or eliminated at any time.  All financial aid programs and awards are subject to the rules and regulations of the federal and state agencies, the University's Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA), and the Law Center.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

Law students interested in applying for financial aid at the UHLC should meet the following criteria:

  • Be a citizen, or an eligible non-citizen of the United States.
  • Be enrolled in a degree-seeking program.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number.
  • Be registered with the Selective Service System, if required.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
  • Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, work-study, or loans).
  • Be enrolled in at least 6 hours

Effective October 1, 2016 students will now use prior-prior year (PPY) tax information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students should begin the 2019-2020 financial aid process as soon as possible after October 1, 2018, even before admission to the UH Law Center.

  • Apply for Your FSA ID: The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created username and password, replaced the PIN effective May 2015. It allows users to electronically access personal information on Federal Student Aid Web sites as well as electronically sign a FAFSA. If you are a continuing student, you may use your FSA ID to access your FAFSA Renewal on the website.
  • Complete Your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT): To apply for financial aid, you should complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA at by downloading your 2016 tax return information directly to the FAFSA as early as possible after October 1. The University of Houston’s Federal School Code is 003652.
  • Provide Consistent Information: A computer process scans your FAFSA and income information to ensure all information in all fields matches. Please take great consideration in providing consistent information to avoid being flagged for verification.
  • Common Mistakes: Do not leave fields blank; Instead, put '0' or 'not applicable.' Be sure to list the correct Social Security or driver's license number; it pays to recheck these numbers. Be sure to apply using the name on your Social Security card, not a nickname.

  • Review Your Student Aid Report (SAR): You will be notified by the Department of Education via email within 3-5 days that your Student Aid Report (SAR) is ready for review and has been forwarded to the school of your choice only after you have been accepted to the Law Center. If your SAR has errors, correct them online using your FSA ID.

The Law Center will receive the same SAR information electronically once you are accepted to the Law Center program, but no sooner than early February 2018. The university may require additional documentation to complete your financial aid file. If so, you will be notified via email if your file is incomplete, but it is also recommended that once notified of an assigned student ID, students should monitor their status/To Do List online at myUH.


University of Houston Law Center
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
4604 Calhoun Road
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
(713) 743-2269
Federal School Code 003652