On-Campus Interview Program (OCI)
University of Houston Law Center (UHLC) JD and domestic and foreign LLM students seek employment experiences in private practice, from large firms to solo practices; in federal, state and local government agencies; in corporations and businesses; and in non-profit organizations. To facilitate this process, the Career Development Office (CDO) organizes the On-Campus Interview Program (OCI), which allows students the opportunity to interview with legal employers on campus.
Every year OCI brings over 100 prospective employers to UHLC’s campus to recruit students for summer, academic year, and permanent employment positions. OCI is broken into several sessions across the academic year.
- OCI: Session I (Early-August) – This is our largest OCI session with over 80 employers participating. This session is a great avenue for multi-national employers to recruit 2L and 3L students for summer and permanent employment.
- OCI: Session II (Mid-October) – Session II is usually smaller than the first session with 15 to 20 employers participating. Regionally-based employers and government and non-profit organizations utilize this session to recruit 2L and 3L students.
- OCI: Session III (Mid-January) – The third OCI session typically draws employers who are seeking 1L students for summer employment.
- OCI: Session IV (Late-March) – The fourth OCI session invites employers of all types to recruit 3Ls and recent graduates for post-bar positions and 1Ls and 2Ls for summer internships. Participating employers include law firms with 50 or fewer attorneys, large law firms, corporations, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.
Prior to an employer’s campus visit, the CDO will provide the employer with the application materials of all students interested in their organization. Employers will then choose which students they would like to interview while on campus (the CDO never makes employers interview candidates they do not choose). Campus interviews last 20 to 30 minutes, and once completed, employers have the option to invite students for additional interviews in their offices or give offers based on the on-campus interviews. Employers also have the option to simply collect résumés (referred to as a Résumé Collect) and interview students of interest at their convenience.
2022 – 2023 OCI Session Schedules
UHLC will host a hybrid OCI schedule this year. Employers may choose from an in-person or virtual interview schedule for each OCI Session.
- Session I: Monday, August 1, 2022 – Friday, August 5, 2022
- Session II:
- Friday, August 19, 2022 – Thursday, September 15, 2022 Employer Registration
- Friday, September 16, 2022 – Monday, September 19, 2022 Student Bidding
- Tuesday, September 20, 2022 Employers Receive Student Bids
- Monday, September 26, 2022 Employer Selections are Due
- Tuesday, October 4, 2022 Employers Receive Interview Schedules
- Thursday, October 13, 2022 - Virtually (12pm-6pm)
- Friday, October 14, 2022 – In-Person (9am-5pm)
- Session III: Thursday, January 12, 2022 (12pm-6pm) – Friday, January 13, 2023 (9am-5pm)
- Employer Registration: Thursday, October 27, 2022 – Tuesday, December 27, 2022
- Student Bidding: Wednesday, December 28, 2022 – Sunday, January 1, 2023
- Employers Receive Student Bids: Monday, January 2, 2023
- Employer Selections Due: Thursday, January 5, 2023
- Employers Receive Interview Schedules: Monday, January 9, 2022
- OCI: Session III Interviews:
Virtually - Thursday, January 12, 2023 (12pm – 6pm)
In person - Friday, January 13, 2023 (9am – 5pm)
- Session IV: Thursday, March 30, 2023 (12pm-6pm) – Friday, March 31, 2023 (8am-5pm)
- Employer Registration: Wednesday, January 25, 2023 – Wednesday, March 1, 2023
- Student Bidding: Thursday, March 2, 2023 – Tuesday, March 7, 2023
- Employers Receive Student Bids: Wednesday, March 8, 2023
- Employer Selections Due: Wednesday, March 15, 2023
- Employers Receive Interview Schedules: Thursday, March 23, 2023
- OCI: Session IV Interviews:
Virtually - Thursday, March 30, 2023 (12pm – 6pm)
In person - Friday, March 31, 2023 (9am – 5pm)
Remember, there is never a fee to participate in our on campus interview program. If you are interested in participating in one of our OCI sessions, and already have an account with our Symplicity system, please log into your Symplicity account during the Employer Registration period and "request a new schedule" under the OCI tab.
If you do not have an account with our Symplicity system, but would like to participate in one of our OCI sessions, please contact our Program Manager, Kecia Branch, at email@example.com or 713-743-2480. Ms. Branch will be able to assist you with setting up a Symplicity account, filling out an OCI schedule, identifying alternative dates for interviews, and/or setting up a Résumé Collect.