Merit Scholarships for Entering J.D. Students
Dean’s Scholarships are offered to highly qualified students in each entering first-year class. These scholarships vary in number and amount each year, and are renewable under the terms outlined below. As part of the Dean’s Scholarship program, we also offer at least two Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships. The terms and criteria for the Teach for America scholarships are the same as those for the Dean’s Scholarship program, except that only current or former Teach for America corps members will be considered. Every applicant accepted for admission to the J.D. program is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required.
Criteria for Entering Student Scholarships:
Every J.D. applicant accepted for admission is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required. The following factors are considered when awarding merit scholarships:
- Applicant's academic record, including previous undergraduate and/or graduate institutions and test scores
- Applicant's letters of recommendation
- Applicant's demonstrated interest in obtaining an advanced degree as evidenced by the personal statement and other application materials
- Other relevant qualifications
Merit scholarships awarded to entering full-time J.D. students, including Dean’s Scholarships and Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships, are renewable for all three years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains continuous full-time enrollment and is in good academic standing. For part-time students, scholarships are for all four years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains a continuous part-time course load and is in good academic standing. If the student transfers from the part-time program to the full-time program, the scholarship will expire upon graduation from the JD program or at the conclusion of the fourth year, whichever comes first.
Scholarships are paid in two equal installments each year, one each for the fall and spring semester. No payment is made for summer enrollment. The scholarship will be applied to the student’s university financial account.
Each year, the UHLC offers several scholarships to currently enrolled students. During this ceremony, the Law Center recognizes student achievement in a number of areas. Please pay particular attention to the criteria stated in each scholarships on this application. 2016 Deadline: February 17, 2016.
The 2015 Dean’s Awards Ceremony was held Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 5PM.
Outside Scholarship Sources
Applicants are encouraged to search for outside scholarships. Some suggestions are www.fastweb.com, www.aie.org individual organizations, sororities or fraternities, social clubs, religious or business organizations, employers of a parent, spouse or friend, foundations, town or city clubs, community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, YMCA, 4H Club, Elks, Kiwanis, Jaycees or girl & boy scouts. Any organization connected with your field of interest. Other options:
- Marvin Nathan Fellowship $5000 - Winner will be afforded the unique opportunity to participate both in the Anti-Defamation League’s (“ADL”) day-to-day legal work and its day-to-day Regional Office work. The fellow will participate in both the legal and policy work of the organization, learning how ADL fights anti-Semitism, racism and bigotry, works to build bridges amongst disparate groups, and safeguards the rights of all people. Deadline: February 15, 2016.
- Eastern District of Texas Bar Association $5000
Born or resided in the Eastern District of Texas
Demonstrated financial need or hardship
Commitment, qualities and actions toward ethics, civility, and professionalism
Academic merit or other qualities showing a likelihood of law school success
Written and/or oral communications skills
Leadership qualities and community involvement
Demonstrate meaningful connection(s) to the Eastern District of Texas.
February 28, 2016
- Sally & Fitch Scholarship $ 1500 - Awarded to a current or future law student. Requires an essay on a specific topic. Deadline: March 1, 2016.
- National Council of Jewish Women Greater Houston Section $1500 - Applicant must be preparing for a career in a health profession, education, community or social services, or Jewish Studies. Deadline: March 2, 2016.
- Dallas Hispanic Law Foundation Scholarship $varies - Awarded to a worthy Hispanic law student in Texas. Deadline: March 4, 2016.
- Tax Executive Institute Scholarship $2000 - Applicant must have selected tax as their major area of career interest and is pursuing a curriculum which emphasized studies that could lead to a career in taxation. At a minimum, the student must have completed at least 12 semester hours at UH Law Center (J.D. or LL.M.) with a B average or better. Deadline: March 4, 2016.
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation $partial or full tuition costs only - Applicant must demonstrate a commitment to study natural resources law or who is undertaking the study of natural resources law. Deadline: JD-February 29, 2016; LLM-March 15, 2016.
- Winstead Juris Doctor Scholarship $20,000 - Awarded to an ethnically diverse first-year law students at The University of Texas School of Law, the University of Houston Law Center, and the
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law. In addition to a cash award, each scholarship
recipient will be offered a position in the Firm’s 2017 Summer Associate Program. Deadline: March 7, 2016.
- National Council of Jewish Women Greater Houston Branch Scholarship $1500 - Awarded to a students that is preparing for a career in a health profession, education, community or social services, or Jewish Studies. Deadline: March 9, 2016.
- Cameron County (TX) Bar Association Law Student Scholarship $2500 - Awarded to encourage and provide financial assistance to a deserving student from Cameron County who is enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school. Deadline: March 15, 2016.
- HBA Auxiliary Charitable Fund, INC., Scholarship $5000 - Selection is based on scholastic ability, financial need and community involvement. Awarded to one student from each of the Houston law schools. Deadline: March 18, 2016.
- Serbian Bar Association Scholarship $2000 - Answer 2 questions: (1) Please tell us about your ties to the Serbian-American community, and explain how you will advance the mission of the SBAA as a law student and in your future legal career (500 words or less); (2) Please tell us why you chose to attend law school, and what motivates you to pursue a career in the law (500 words or less). Deadline: March 18, 2016.
- King Ice Scholarship $500 - Essay Topic: "What you think the eCommerce industry will be like in the next 10 years". Deadline: March 31, 2016.
- Iranian American Bar Association Foundation Scholarship $ varies - Applicants must be of Iranian heritage and a full-time student. Deadline: March 31, 2016.
- Austin Bar Association & Austin LGBT Bar Association $5000 - Applicant must be enrolled at a public or private American Bar Association-accredited law school physically located in the State of Texas; and have demonstrated some commitment or contribution to the LGBT community or LGBT legal issues.
- Law School Diversity Scholarship $2000 - Applicants must be a member of an ethnic, racial or other minority or demonstrates commitment to issues of diversity within their community. Deadline: April 1, 2016.
- Fred Dahr Scholarship $1000 - Enrolled in at least 12 hours during 2015-2016, employed at least part time and demonstrate financial need. Essay topic: Please write about your experience in the criminal justice system. Deadline: April 1, 2016.
- Plaxen and Adler Scholarship $2500 - A resume; An essay or letter of no more than 1000 words on how you meet the criteria and up to 3 recommendations. Deadline: April 1, 2016.
- Cohen & Cohen Civil Justice Scholarship $500 - Submit a 1000 word limit essay responding to the following question: What steps can we as a society take to ensure that all individuals, regardless of socioeconomic status, will have access to our civil justice system (i.e., our courts)?. Deadline: April 1, 2016.
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) Scholarship Awards Jury $ varies - To assist individuals that are studying to become law librarians with their educational expenses. Deadline: April 1, 2016.
- The HotelsCheap Scholarship $1500 - The students whose responses to 4 personal, open-ended, and thought-provoking questions and are the most persuasive, compelling, and well-written, as judged by our executive management team will be considered finalists. Deadline: April 15, 2016.
- The Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Scholarship $5000 - $1000 - awarded to a law students studying energy, environmental, natural resource, and mineral law. Deadline: April 15, 2016.
- "One Lawyer Can Change the World" scholarship sponsored by BARBRI Law Preview $10,000 - Awarded to a student who is planning to begin their 1L year in 2016. Deadline: April 15, 2016.
- Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Scholarship $5000 - Applicant criteria: Born or resided in the Eastern District of Texas; Demonstrated financial need or hardship; Commitment, qualities and actions toward ethics, civility, and professionalism; Academic merit or other qualities showing a likelihood of law school success; Written and/or oral communications skills; Leadership qualities and community involvement; Demonstrate meaningful connection(s) to the Eastern District of Texas.
- Deanna Points Law & Technology College Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must demonstrate, through a 500+ word essay, how legal research has evolved now that technology is more sophisticated, and information is easily accessible through search engines, social media, and more. Deadline: April 15, 2016.
- Scholarship for Students with an Autistic Sibling $2500 - Write a 500+ word essay sharing your family's story. Deadline: April 30, 2016.
- Shipdig.com Scholarship $1000 - Essay Topic: What is the most interesting item you have ever received in the mail. This can be a letter or postcard, a package or gift, an advertisement, or any other parcel delivered by mail. Explain why this article of mail was so fascinating to you and how it has impacted your life. Deadline: April 30, 2016.
- AABA Law Foundation Scholarship $5000 - Essay Topic: Explain how you have demonstrated a commitment to serve the needs of the Asian Pacific American community, how you plan to serve the needs of the Chicago-area Asian Pacific American community in the future. Deadline: May 1, 2016.
- American Accident Awareness Attorney (AAAA) $2000 - Submit an original 500+ word essay on how Driving and Texting has affected your life or an experience of how it has impacted someone you know. Deadline: May 30, 2016.
- RobbyStrong Cancer Survivor Scholarship $500 - This scholarship is judged & awarded primarily on merit & need. Deadline: May 31, 2016.
- Buford & Gonzalez Scholarship $2000 - Applicants must be attending college by the Fall 2016 semester. The Scholarship will be judged on merit and need. Academic achievements as well as any leadership experiences will be taken in to account. Deadline: May 31, 2016.
- Car Accident Scholarship $2000 - Scholarship will be judged and awarded on merit and need. Applicants will be required to demonstrate: 1. How a car accident injury you or someone close to you experienced has impacted your life.
2. How your experience with an injury or a car accident has contributed to your desire & motivation to become an attorney. 3. Personal commitment to working with, helping or caring for those affected by injuries sustained in car accidents. Deadline: May 31, 2016.
- Peck Law Firm Scholarship $2000 - Essay topic:What effects will the legalization of gay marriage have on religion, culture, and/or family law in America? Deadline: May 31, 2016.
- Ladah Law Firm Scholarship $2000 - Applicants will be required to demonstrate: 1) How a car accident injury you or someone close to you experienced has impacted your life;
2) How your experience with an injury or a car accident has contributed to your desire & motivation to become an attorney;
3) Personal commitment to working with, helping or caring for those affected by injuries sustained in car accidents. Deadline: May 31, 2016.
- Blue Fire Broadband Rural Scholarship $500 - Essay topic: Has the internet made where your community become more connected to the rest of the world? Deadline: June 1, 2016.
- 2016 Legal Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: Do you think the criminal justice system adequately deals with America’s War on Drugs? Deadline: June 1, 2016.
- Adam Greenman Scholarship for Future Lawyers $1000 - Submit a 500-700 word essay describing why you want to go to law school and pursue a career as an attorney. Deadline: June 1, 2016.
- “Strong Arm” Leukemia Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a college student who has battled leukemia or whose life has been affected by it. Deadline: June 15, 2016.
- Los Angeles DUI Attorney Diabetes Scholarship $1000 - The applicant must be diagnosed with diabetes & must write an essay on a particular topic. Deadline: June 15, 1016.
- Evans Law Firm Legal Scholarship $1000 - Awarded to to a first-year law school student, selected on the basis of ability to clearly communicate ideas. The purpose of the scholarship is to reward original thought and encourage the development of skill in conveying information to others. Deadline: June 15, 2016.
- Martin Law Office Scholarship $500 - Essay topic: Describe something you have done in the past year that has made a difference in your community. Deadline: June 30, 2016.
- Dyslexia Scholarship $2000 - Essay topic: What obstacles have you faced with dyslexia? Share your story and how you would benefit from this scholarship. Also include your academic goals including: the college you will be going to/are currently enrolled in as well as the career path you plan to pursue. Deadline: June 30, 2016.
- Anelli Xavier Criminal Justice Scholarship $1000 - You must be a citizen of the United States; You must demonstrate plans to enroll for admission‚ or have proof of current full-time enrollment at an accredited institution; Your GPA must meet a minimum score of 3.0. Deadline: July 1, 2016.
- The Michael P. Fleming Law Scholarship $1000 - Submit an essay of at least 500 words on an area of personal injury or civil litigation law with an emphasis on why they deserve the award. Deadline: July 1, 2016.
- “Representing Real People” Scholarship $ Awarded to a law student who is committed to a career representing individuals serving in legal career paths such as elder law, immigration law, disability rights, and more. Deadline: July 1, 2016.
- General Education Scholarship $500 - Applicant must submit an essay on a specific topic and can be entering their first year of law school. Deadline: July 15, 2016.
- Downward & Associates Legal Scholarship $1000 - Tell us about more about yourself! Why is it that you are applying for this scholarship in particular? What are your current/future goals? Please be creative and original. Short essay on specific topics listed on website. Deadline: July 15, 2016.
- Menzer & Hill Scholarship $1000 - Tell us about more about yourself! Why is it that you are applying for this scholarship in particular? What are your current/future goals? Please be creative and original. Short essay on specific topics listed on website. Deadline: July 15, 2016.
- Moebes Law Scholarship $1000 - Tell us about more about yourself! Why is it that you are applying for this scholarship in particular? What are your current/future goals? Please be creative and original. Short essay on specific topics listed on website. Deadline: July 15, 2016.
- Pickard Parry Pfau Southpaw Scholarship $1500 - Open to left-handed students who live in the United States. Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- The Leonard B. Gabbay, P.C. Scholarship $1500 - Essay Topic: Juries, the ultimate engine of social justice or not. Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- “Future Lawyers of America” Scholarship $1000 - Write an essay of 500 - 1000 words describing one personal experience that has inspired you to become a lawyer. Demonstration of community involvement or volunteer experience is a definite plus! Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness Law School Scholarship $1000 - To provide financial support to a student whose life has been impacted by lymphoma or leukemia and is seeking to continue his or her education through law school. Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- Military Veteran Law Student Scholarship $500 - Applicant must summarize their military service and the legal field in which they hope to work after law school. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Probst Law Office, Inc Scholarship $500 - Applicants must submit a 500+ word essay on a specific topic. Applicants will be judged on the best-reasoned response, not on the position of the applicant. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Baumgartner Law Firm Car Accident Scholarship $1000 - Awarded based on need and commitment to helping others. Deadline: August 31, 2016.
- Karman Healthcare Scholarship $500 - the theme is to create a presentation of how disability laws can be improved or changed. The entries can include essays, and poems. Deadline: September 1, 2016.
- Ambrosio E. Rodriguez Scholarship $3500 - Applicant must be full time, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and must have some sort of financial need. Essay required. Deadline: September 1, 2016.
- Shipdig.com Scholarship $1000 - Essay Topic: What is the most interesting item you have ever received in the mail. This can be a letter or postcard, a package or gift, an advertisement, or any other parcel delivered by mail. Explain why this article of mail was so fascinating to you and how it has impacted your life. Deadline: September 30, 2016.
- “Future Lawyers of America” Scholarship $1000 - Write an essay of 500 - 1000 words describing one personal experience that has inspired you to become a lawyer. Demonstration of community involvement or volunteer experience is a definite plus! Deadline: November 30, 2016.
- Law Office of Randy Collins Scholarship $1000 - Three Part Essay Question of 2000-5000 words. Deadline: December 10, 2016.
- Sattiraju Employment Law Scholarship $ 1000 - Special consideration will be given to those who plan on specializing in employment law or who are the immediate relative of a transport/truck driver that has been classified as an independent contractor. Deadline: December 30, 2016.
- Mendrzycki Essay Contest $5000 - The 2016 Contest Essay Hypothetical involves the ethical concerns arising under the Model Rules of Professional Conduct where a U.S.-based law firm seeks to acquire foreign law firms in an effort to better serve and expand its international client base. Deadline: March 4, 2016.
- 2016 First Amendment Gerrymander Writing Competition $5000 - Topic: First Amendment issue in Shapiro and Whitford to demonstrate why the drawing of Maryland’s congressional districts or Wisconsin’s Assembly districts is a partisan gerrymander that should be condemned under the First Amendment. Deadline: March 27, 2016.
- Beveridge & Diamond Constitutional Environmental Law Writing Competition $2000 - Topic: Any topic addressing developments or trends in U.S. environmental law with a significant
constitutional, “federalism,” or other cross-cutting component. Deadline: April 4, 2016.
- The Dish "Best in Class" eDiscovery Writing Competition $2500 - Topic: Identify which amended rule will have the greatest impact on the civil litigation discovery process. Deadline: April 11, 2016.
- Smith-Dohney Legal Ethics Writing Competition $2500 - Topic: Any legal ethics issue. Deadline: April 29, 2016.
- International Law Section of the State Bar of Texas Writing Contest $1000 - Topic: Entries should address any area of international law, including international antitrust, arbitration, business transactions, conflicts of law, criminal law, immigration, intellectual property, litigation, multinational
enterprises, public law and trade law. Deadline: May 31,2016.
- American Inns of Court Warren E, Burger Prize $5000 - Topic: addresses the issues of legal excellence, civility, ethics and professionalism. Deadline: July 1, 2016.
University of Houston Law Center
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
100 Law Center
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
School code 003652