Merit Scholarships for Entering J.D. Students
Dean’s Scholarships are offered to highly qualified students in each entering first-year class. These scholarships vary in number and amount each year, and are renewable under the terms outlined below. As part of the Dean’s Scholarship program, we also offer at least two Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships. The terms and criteria for the Teach for America scholarships are the same as those for the Dean’s Scholarship program, except that only current or former Teach for America corps members will be considered. Every applicant accepted for admission to the J.D. program is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required.
Criteria for Entering Student Scholarships:
Every J.D. applicant accepted for admission is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required. The following factors are considered when awarding merit scholarships:
- Applicant's academic record, including previous undergraduate and/or graduate institutions and test scores
- Applicant's letters of recommendation
- Applicant's demonstrated interest in obtaining an advanced degree as evidenced by the personal statement and other application materials
- Other relevant qualifications
Merit scholarships awarded to entering full-time J.D. students, including Dean’s Scholarships and Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships, are renewable for all three years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains continuous full-time enrollment and is in good academic standing. For part-time students, scholarships are for all four years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains a continuous part-time course load and is in good academic standing. If the student transfers from the part-time program to the full-time program, the scholarship will expire upon graduation from the JD program or at the conclusion of the fourth year, whichever comes first.
Scholarships are paid in two equal installments each year, one each for the fall and spring semester. No payment is made for summer enrollment. The scholarship will be applied to the student’s university financial account.
Each year, the UHLC offers several scholarships to currently enrolled students. During this ceremony, the Law Center recognizes student achievement in a number of areas. Please pay particular attention to the criteria stated in each scholarships on this application. 2017 Deadline: TBA.
The 2016 Dean’s Awards Ceremony will be held Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 5PM.
Outside Scholarship Sources
Applicants are encouraged to search for outside scholarships. Some suggestions are www.fastweb.com, www.aie.org individual organizations, sororities or fraternities, social clubs, religious or business organizations, employers of a parent, spouse or friend, foundations, town or city clubs, community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, YMCA, 4H Club, Elks, Kiwanis, Jaycees or girl & boy scouts. Any organization connected with your field of interest. Other options:
- 2016 RMMLF Annual Institute in California --Travel subsidy for students for conferences outside of Houston, Texas - Rock Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Conferences
- General Education Scholarship $500 - Applicant must submit an essay on a specific topic and can be entering their first year of law school. Deadline: July 15, 2016.
- Spouses of Houston Barristers approximately $20K divided between all 3 Houston Law Schools - To provide financial assistance to 2L & 3L ethnic minority law students attending all 3 Houston law schools; South Texas College of Law, Thurgood Marshall School of Law at Texas Southern University, and The University of Houston Law Center. Deadline: July 15, 2016.
- The Leonard B. Gabbay, P.C. Scholarship $1500 - Essay Topic: Juries, the ultimate engine of social justice or not. Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- “Future Lawyers of America” Scholarship $1000 - Write an essay of 500 - 1000 words describing one personal experience that has inspired you to become a lawyer. Demonstration of community involvement or volunteer experience is a definite plus! Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness Law School Scholarship $1000 - To provide financial support to a student whose life has been impacted by lymphoma or leukemia and is seeking to continue his or her education through law school. Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- Gerben Law Firm Scholarship $2500 - Applicant who may have a strong interest in becoming a trademark attorney. Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- Civil Rights Scholarship $1000 - Applicant should be currently enrolled or accepted to attend and have a minimum 3.2 GPA. You must submit an official copy of your transcript, your completed application, and your essay using the online form. Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- Ashley Rose Honorary Diabetes Law Student Scholarship Award $1000 - Awarded to a current law or incoming law student whose life has been impacted by diabetes. Deadline: July 31, 2016.
- Military Veteran Law Student Scholarship $500 - Applicant must summarize their military service and the legal field in which they hope to work after law school. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Probst Law Office, Inc Scholarship $500 - Applicants must submit a 500+ word essay on a specific topic. Applicants will be judged on the best-reasoned response, not on the position of the applicant. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Asian Heritage Law Scholarship $1000 - Submit a short essay describing how your background and experiences in the Asian American community influenced your choice to go to law school and how they plan to use their law degree. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Paul Schiffer Law Scholarship $500 - Awarded to an incoming 1L. Submit an essay of at least 500 words on any area of criminal law with an emphasis on why he/she deserves the award. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Campbell Law, LLC Scholarship $500 - Essay topic: 1) Provide a well-reasoned argument about whether a specific policy in the criminal justice system (your choice) is unjust and requires reform, or is just and should stay the same, OR, 2) Provide a well-reasoned argument defending or critiquing the criminalization of drug possession in the United States. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Chistenesen & Hymas Married Student Law Scholarship $1000 - Must be legally married and submit a 300-700 word essay explaining your life balance including educational, familial, and personal goals. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Harris Federal Law Firm $1000 - must be a rising 2L or 3L law student and must have maintained a minimum 3.0 GPA throughout law school. Deadline: August 1, 2016.
- Baumgartner Law Firm Car Accident Scholarship $1000 - Awarded based on need and commitment to helping others. Deadline: August 31, 2016.
- Karman Healthcare Scholarship $500 - the theme is to create a presentation of how disability laws can be improved or changed. The entries can include essays, and poems. Deadline: September 1, 2016.
- Ambrosio E. Rodriguez Scholarship $3500 - Applicant must be full time, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and must have some sort of financial need. Essay required. Deadline: September 1, 2016.
- Shipdig.com Scholarship $1000 - Essay Topic: What is the most interesting item you have ever received in the mail. This can be a letter or postcard, a package or gift, an advertisement, or any other parcel delivered by mail. Explain why this article of mail was so fascinating to you and how it has impacted your life. Deadline: September 30, 2016.
- Baxter Family Competition on Federalism CND $5000 - Submit an original essay related to an aspect for federal theory or practice. Deadline: August 30, 2016.
- “Future Lawyers of America” Scholarship $1000 - Write an essay of 500 - 1000 words describing one personal experience that has inspired you to become a lawyer. Demonstration of community involvement or volunteer experience is a definite plus! Deadline: November 30, 2016.
- Law Office of Randy Collins Scholarship $1000 - Three Part Essay Question of 2000-5000 words. Deadline: December 10, 2016.
- Sattiraju Employment Law Scholarship $ 1000 - Special consideration will be given to those who plan on specializing in employment law or who are the immediate relative of a transport/truck driver that has been classified as an independent contractor. Deadline: December 30, 2016.
- Craig Jordan Writing Competition/The Consumer and Commercial Law Section of the Texas State Bar $4000 - Intended to provide a Texas law students the opportunity to examine and offer perspectives on the multitude of challenges facing consumers and their advocates in an ever-changing marketplace and regulatory and legal environment. Deadline: July 15, 2016.
- The Brown Award for Excellence in Legal Writing $10,000 - Submit 2 copies of a current legal writing paper along with a letter of recommendation from a law school faculty member or legal professional. Deadline: August 19, 2016.
- James E, Beckley Securities Arbitration and Law Competition $1000 - Topic: Any aspect of Securities Law; Securities Arbitration; The Federal Arbitration Act, Title 9, US Code, Section 1-14; or FINRA Code of Arbitration, effective April 16, 2007 and any changes or proposed changes to that Code. The writing can be based in theory or practice, but should ultimately advocate a position on the topic area chosen. Deadline: September 16, 2016.
- USA Branch of the International Fiscal Association Writing Competition $2000 - Topic: involving the application of United States tax rules to international activities, including taxation under United States tax treaties. Deadline: September 30, 2016.
- Center for Alcohol Policy Writing Competition $2500 - Topic: The 21st Amendment repealed Prohibition and put control over alcohol regulation directly in the hands of the states. Though each state’s alcohol control policies are unique, they all include distinct regulations for different types of alcohol. Why are various types of alcohol regulated in different ways? Should they be? Deadline: December 2, 2016.
University of Houston Law Center
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
100 Law Center
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
School code 003652