University of Houston Law Center Logo
Give Now  
HOME Faculty

Government and Nonprofit Externship Program

Through participation in the Externship Programs, students can earn academic credit for work with a nonprofit organization, a government agency, or a member of the judiciary. LL.M. students may be eligible for the program on a case‐by-case basis.

Why should I seek an externship placement? How do I apply for a placement? How do I receive academic credit? Student Spotlight

Academic Credit

Applying for an External Placement

How do I obtain an externship?

Students apply directly to the nonprofit organization or government agency for their externships. You should check with the placement for specific application requirements, but most placements will require at least a cover letter and résumé.

When should I apply for an externship?

Students must have their externship secured before applying for academic credit. As a general rule:

For fall externships* - send out your placement applications by June 15
For spring externships* - send out your placement applications by November 1
For summer externships - send out your placement applications by February 15

Different organizations have different deadlines. If you miss these dates, check with the organization to see if they are still accepting applications.

(*Note: If a student does not seek/receive an externship in the summer, he/she should consider doing one in the fall and/or spring semesters. Many placements take externs year-round, and the positions in fall and spring are less competitive than they are in the summer.)

For more information, contact your career counselor in the Career Development Office.

Externship Placement Portal

For other experiential learning opportunities go to the Blakely Advocacy Institute or the Legal Clinics

To visit the Career Development Office, click here.

To view at the latest job postings, visit Symplicity.