Merit Scholarships for Entering J.D. Students
Dean’s Scholarships are offered to highly qualified students in each entering first-year class. These scholarships vary in number and amount each year, and are renewable under the terms outlined below. As part of the Dean’s Scholarship program, we also offer at least two Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships. The terms and criteria for the Teach for America scholarships are the same as those for the Dean’s Scholarship program, except that only current or former Teach for America corps members will be considered. Every applicant accepted for admission to the J.D. program is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required.
Criteria for Entering Student Scholarships:
Every J.D. applicant accepted for admission is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required. The following factors are considered when awarding merit scholarships:
- Applicant's academic record, including previous undergraduate and/or graduate institutions and test scores
- Applicant's letters of recommendation
- Applicant's demonstrated interest in obtaining an advanced degree as evidenced by the personal statement and other application materials
- Other relevant qualifications
Merit scholarships awarded to entering full-time J.D. students, including Dean’s Scholarships and Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships, are renewable for all three years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains continuous full-time enrollment and is in good academic standing. For part-time students, scholarships are for all four years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains a continuous part-time course load and is in good academic standing. If the student transfers from the part-time program to the full-time program, the scholarship will expire upon graduation from the JD program or at the conclusion of the fourth year, whichever comes first.
Scholarships are paid in two equal installments each year, one each for the fall and spring semester. No payment is made for summer enrollment. The scholarship will be applied to the student’s university financial account.
Each year, the UHLC offers several scholarships to currently enrolled students. During this ceremony, the Law Center recognizes student achievement in a number of areas. Please pay particular attention to the criteria stated in each scholarships on this application. 2017 Deadline: TBA.
The 2016 Dean’s Awards Ceremony was held Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 5PM.
Outside Scholarship Sources
Applicants are encouraged to search for outside scholarships. Some suggestions are www.fastweb.com, www.aie.org individual organizations, sororities or fraternities, social clubs, religious or business organizations, employers of a parent, spouse or friend, foundations, town or city clubs, community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, YMCA, 4H Club, Elks, Kiwanis, Jaycees or girl & boy scouts. Any organization connected with your field of interest. Other options:
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund $2500-$5000 - Applicants are evaluated for their academic and extracurricular achievements, for their background and financial need, and, most important, for their demonstrated commitment to advancing Latino civil rights in their careers.
Deadline: January 17, 2017.
- Texas Aggie Bar Scholarship - $? - You are eligible for this scholarship if you are a student or former student that has completed at least 40 undergraduate hours at Texas A&M University and will begin or otherwise be in law school in the Fall of 2017. Deadline: January 23, 2017.
- Court System Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: "Why the legal and judiciary system (including courts, jails, police departments, sheriffs, et al) are important to a well founded and structured society". Deadline: January 31, 2016.
- Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates Law School Scholarship $2000 - An essay about large trucks and eighteen-wheelers who caused injury to another due to the negligence of another. Deadline: January 31, 2017.
- The Andrew J. Horwitz Scholarship $1500 - An essay answering: "If you had the power to change one law in injury law, what would it be and why?" Deadline: January 31, 2017.
- Percy Martinez Law Scholarship $500 - Essay topic or video: What strategies would you use in a case where both the defendant and plaintiff are at fault? How would you win your case? (You can pick to defend either). Deadline: January 31, 2017.
- Scholarship for Law Students $1000 - Essay topic: Relating to law or your personal passion for law. Deadline: February 1, 2017.
- Freeman & Freeman Law Scholarship $1000 - Submit an essay on any topic related to law or your personal passion for law. Deadline: February 1, 2017.
- Farar & Lewis Law Firm Scholarship $1000 - Essay on why an education is important. Give examples of how you have persevered through the obstacles in order to get an education. What have you learned from these challenges, and how will that prepare you for the challenges you face as a student in a higher education environment? Show examples, and defend your answer. Deadline: February 5, 2017.
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Scholarship $1K - $9K - A law student who is enrolled full time who can demonstrate a commitment to the study of natural resources law is eligible to apply. LLM students and incoming 1Ls who have applied but have not yet been accepted may also apply. Deadline: February 28, 2016.
- Damore, Delgado & Romanik Scholarship $500 - Essay topic: 1) Why do you want to be a lawyer? 2) Explain the importance of law in today's society. 3) What do you think the legal industry will be like in the next 10 years? Deadline: February 29, 2017.
- Citywide Law Group $1500 - Essay topics: 1) Why do you want to practice law? 2) What adversity you have had to overcome to obtain your goal of attending law school. 3) How you will use your law degree to help others. Deadline: March 1, 2017.
- ABA LPL Ed Mendrzycki Essay Contest - Hypothetical $5000 - Essay topic: Involves the ethical concerns arising under the Model Rules of Professional Conduct where a law firm seeks to affiliate itself with litigation funding companies, including undertaking representation of one such company and, in turn, recommending its services to the firm’s clients. Deadline: March 3, 2017.
- Mexican American Bar Association Scholarship $1500 - Please include 1) your application, 2) your resume/curriculum vitae (CV), and 3) your personal statement. Deadline: March 8, 2017.
- Dr. Lee K. Feine Scholarship $1500 - Awards are based on financial needs, academic achievement, and career goals, must be preparing for a career in a health profession, education, community or social services, or Jewish Studies and must be a Houston resident. Deadline: March 17, 2017.
- Wilshire Law Firm Scholarship $1000 - Submit a typed essay describing: a) your professional goals in a legal career, b) how you intend to contribute to the community, and c) why you believe you are deserving of this scholarship. Deadline: March 31, 2017.
- Peck Law Firm Scholarship $2000 - Essay topic: What effects will the election of our new president have on American families? Deadline: March 31, 2017.
- Howard Fox Memorial Law Scholarship - $3000 - Must be a high school graduate of Berks County, Pennsylvania. Deadline: April 1, 2017.
- Advancement of Animal Law Scholarship $5000 - Open to law students that are not graduating in this year. Deadline: April 3, 2017.
- Court System Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: "Why the legal and judiciary system (including courts, jails, police departments, sheriffs, et al) are important to a well founded and structured society". Deadline: April 30, 2016.
- Scholarship for Military Veterans $500 - Essay discussing "How can the government help improve veteran lives when they return from their tour of duty?". Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Scholarship for Children of Police Officers $2000 - Write an essay detailing how being the son or daughter of a police officer has influenced you as a college-bound student. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Weiss & Paarz Annual Law Scholarship $1000 -Submit a personal statement, which includes a description of your career goals and what you plan to use the scholarship funding for. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Evans Law Firm Legal Scholarship $1000 - 1) U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.; 2) Commencing law school (1L) in August 2017; 3) Written an article which has been published (in print or digital media). Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Fleming's Fundamentals of Law 'California Bar Review' Scholarship $? - Free bar preparation course for the July 2017 Bar exam - Essay topic: Experience with the law and how you would like to make a difference in society with your law degree. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- McNeely Stephenson Legal Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must submit a sample of their writing which has previously been published in a newspaper, magazine, professional blog or academic publication. It is not necessary that the subject matter be related to the law; its primary purpose should be to inform readers. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Guajardo & Marks, LLP Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must meet the following criteria: 1) U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.;
2) Commencing law school (1L) in August 2017; 3) Written an article which has been published (in print or digital media).Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Legal Scholarship Award $1000 - Submit a sample writing which has previously been published in a newspaper, magazine, professional blog or academic publication. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Future Legal Leaders Scholarship $2000 - Open to current 1L or incoming 1L beginning Fall 2017. Share how as a lawyer you intend to use your law degree and education in support of your community with a video and written essay. Scroll to the bottom of the link above. Deadline: May 5, 2017.
- Advocates Law Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: What are some of the daily problems we face on the roads? What laws could be changed to accomplish that goal? How can you contribute to improving road safety? Deadline: May 15, 2017.
- Katzman, Lampert, and McClune Aviation Scholarship $2000 - Write an essay, describing why you want to go to law school and pursue a career in aviation-focused law. Deadline: May 31, 2017.
- Law Student Diversity Scholarship $2000 - Essay topic: Describe your efforts to encourage greater racial or ethnic diversity within the student body of your law school and/or undergraduate program. Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- Criminal Defense Attorneys Moses and Rooth Attorneys at Law Legal Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: Do you feel that all restrictions on firearms impact the second amendment? Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- American College of Employee Benefits Contest Writing Prize $1500 - Topic: Employees Benefits. Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- Law School Diversity Student and Problem Solving Scholarship $2500 - For minority students (Black, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American, Eskimo, or Hispanic); Create a 2-4 minute video answering the following prompt:
If you had one million dollars, what problem would you try to solve? And how would you do it? Who would you work with? Why would you try to solve that particular problem?
Deadline: June 31, 2017.
- Mississauga Student Law School Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: How you believe some of us, or all of us, will benefit when you become an attorney. Deadline: July 15, 2017.
- Gerben Law Firm Scholarship $2500 - Awarded to the student with the most compelling story of why they are interested in becoming a trademark attorney. Deadline: July 31, 2017.
- Jon Friedman Scholarship $500 - Submit an essay of your choice related to an area of law that interest you. Deadline: August 15, 2017.
- Charles J. Argento and Associates Scholarship $500 - Submit an essay on the subject matter related to the area of law you intend to pursue. Deadline:
August 15, 2017.
- David Kestenbaum Scholarship $500 - Recipient will be entering law school in the fall of 2017 with a focus on criminal defense. Deadline: August 15, 2017.
- Gurovich, Berk & Associates Scholarship $500 - An essay relating to your chosen area of law. Deadline: August 15, 2017.
- Baumgartner Law Firm Law Student Scholarship Application $3000 - This scholarship will be awarded based on need and commitment to helping others. Deadline: August 31, 2017.
- Sigmon Law, PLLC “Truth and Justice” Scholarship $1000 - The scholarship is designed to recognize and financially assist outstanding law students and/or undergraduates interested in pursuing a career as civil trial lawyers–legal professionals committed to using the courtroom to fight for the rights of those who can’t fight for themselves. Must submit a two question essay. Deadline: August 31, 2017.
- Bajaj Law Scholarship $2500 - The scholarship will be based on an essay and can be done on any topic. Deadline: September 1, 2017.
- Wilshire Law Firm Scholarship $1000 - submit a typed essay describing: a) your professional goals in a legal career, b) how you intend to contribute to the community, and c) why you believe you are deserving of this scholarship. Deadline: September 30, 2017.
- American Indian Law Review Writing Competition $1000 - Topic: Any issue concerning American Indian law or indigenous peoples. Deadline: January 31, 2017.
- Family Law Writing Competition $500 - Topic: Any area of family law, although topics that focus on international or interdisciplinary subjects of family law are especially encouraged. Deadline: February 1, 2017.
- Alcohol Addiction Awareness Essay Contest $2000 - Topic: Answer: 1) How alcohol abuse and addiction affects the modern society? 2) What steps can be taken to decrease the impact of alcohol abuse and addictions on people and society? Deadline: February 1, 2017.
- Elliot A. Spoon Business Law Writing Competition $500 - Topic: Submit a business or securities law article in law review format. Deadline: February 5, 2017.
- Law School Scholarship $4500 - Topic: Answer: 1) Why getting a higher education is important to you? 2) What challenges have you faced, when attempting to get this education & how have you handled them? 3) How have you grown as a student, due to this challenge?
Deadline: February 20, 2017.
- Joe Rudd Scholarship & Rock Mountain Mineral Law Foundation $1000 - $9000 range - Full-time student who can demonstrate a commitment to the study of natural resources law is eligible to apply. LLM students and incoming 1Ls who have applied to UH Law Center but have not yet been accepted may also apply. JD Deadline: February 28, 2017. LLM Deadline: March 15, 2017.
- Brogdon Champion, LLC Law School Essay $2500 - Topic: Any ethical issue that arises in the context of representing plaintiffs in personal injury and wrongful death cases. Deadline: March 1, 2017.
- ABA Affordable Housing & Community Development Law Legal Writing Competition $1000 - Essay Topic: Address any legal issue regarding affordable housing and/or community development law. Deadline: March 3, 2017.
- LSAC Diversity Writing Competition $ 5000 - Topic: Why Pipeline Programs Targeting Students from Underrepresented Racial and Ethnic Backgrounds Are Essential to the Future of the Legal Profession. Deadline: March 31, 2017.
- Henry L. Diamond Constitutional Environmental Law Writing Competition $2000 - Topic: Addressing developments or trends in U.S. environmental law with a significant constitutional, “federalism,” or other cross-cutting component. Deadline: April 10, 2017.
- Howard C. Schwab Memorial Essay $1500 - Topic: Any aspect of family law. Request your entry number by April 14, 2017. Deadline: April 28, 2017.
- International Association of Defense Counsel Writing Competition $2000 - Topic: Fields of tort law, insurance law, civil procedure, evidence or other areas of the law of practical concern to lawyers engaged in the defense, or management of the defense of civil litigation. Deadline: May 19, 2017.
- Employee Benefits Writing Prize $1500 - Topic: Any topic in the field of employee benefits law. Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers &
American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law Writing Competition $3000 - Topic: Relevant to labor and employment law practice. Deadline: June 15, 2017.
- Tannenwald Writing Competition $5000 - Topic: Any federal or state tax-related topic. Deadline: July 5, 2017.
- United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association $3500 - Topic: Any topic that lies within the procedure, substance, or scope of the jurisdiction of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. Deadline: July 14, 2017.
University of Houston Law Center
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
4604 Calhoun Road
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
School code 003652