Merit Scholarships for Entering J.D. Students
Dean’s Scholarships are offered to highly qualified students in each entering first-year class. These scholarships vary in number and amount each year, and are renewable under the terms outlined below. As part of the Dean’s Scholarship program, we also offer at least two Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships. The terms and criteria for the Teach for America scholarships are the same as those for the Dean’s Scholarship program, except that only current or former Teach for America corps members will be considered. Every applicant accepted for admission to the J.D. program is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required.
Criteria for Entering Student Scholarships:
Every J.D. applicant accepted for admission is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required. The following factors are considered when awarding merit scholarships:
- Applicant's academic record, including previous undergraduate and/or graduate institutions and test scores
- Applicant's letters of recommendation
- Applicant's demonstrated interest in obtaining an advanced degree as evidenced by the personal statement and other application materials
- Other relevant qualifications
Merit scholarships awarded to entering full-time J.D. students, including Dean’s Scholarships and Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships, are renewable for all three years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains continuous full-time enrollment and is in good academic standing. For part-time students, scholarships are for all four years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains a continuous part-time course load and is in good academic standing. If the student transfers from the part-time program to the full-time program, the scholarship will expire upon graduation from the JD program or at the conclusion of the fourth year, whichever comes first.
Scholarships are paid in two equal installments each year, one each for the fall and spring semester. No payment is made for summer enrollment. The scholarship will be applied to the student’s university financial account.
Each year, the UHLC offers several scholarships to currently enrolled students. During this ceremony, the Law Center recognizes student achievement in a number of areas. Please pay particular attention to the criteria stated in each of the 16 scholarships on this application. Deadline: February 18, 2015.
The Dean’s Awards Ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday, April 22 beginning at 5:00 p.m. in Krost Auditorium.
Outside Scholarship Sources
Applicants are encouraged to search for outside scholarships. Some suggestions are www.fastweb.com, www.aie.org individual organizations, sororities or fraternities, social clubs, religious or business organizations, employers of a parent, spouse or friend, foundations, town or city clubs, community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, YMCA, 4H Club, Elks, Kiwanis, Jaycees or girl & boy scouts. Any organization connected with your field of interest. Other options:
- HNBA/MICROSOFT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW INSTITUTE (IPLI) - This summer, up to 25 Latino law students from law schools across the country will be chosen to participate in an IP immersion program in Washington, DC with all necessary expenses covered. Applicant must be a rising 2L or rising 3L and have already completed 1st year of classes by May 31, 2015. Deadline: March 31. 2015.
- Dallas Hispanic Law Foundation Law Internship Program - Applicants must have completed first-year law school courses from an accredited law school, including civil procedure, legal research and legal writing courses.
Applicants must be willing to commit to a minimum of a 4 week internship. The internships will commence no earlier than May 26, 2015 and must be completed no later than July 2, 2015.
Law Interns will receive a stipend of $2,000 for the 4 weeks. Deadline: April 14, 2015.
- Wheelchair Disability Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be permanently confined to a wheelchair and be willing to share his or her story with the general public. Deadline: February 28, 2015.
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation $1500-$15K - Criteria: Potential to make a significant contribution to the field of natural resources law; Academic ability; Leadership ability; Year in law school; Financial need. Deadline: February 28, 2015.
- National Council of Jewish Women $? - Applicant must be preparing for a career in a health profession, education, community or social services, or Jewish Studies. Deadline: March 9, 2015.
- Cameron County Bar Association (CCBA) $2500 -The applicant’s financial need; personal, family, and educational background; personal statement; and participation in community service activities will be considered. Deadline: March 15, 2015.
- Interleges Award in Memory of Stephen Rayner 4000 EUROS - Essay: Transnational adjudication of human rights violations: National tribunals as an alternative to international courts. Deadline: March 20, 2015.
- HBA Auxiliary Charitable Fund, INC., Scholarship $5000 - Selection is based on scholastic ability, financial need and community involvement. Awarded to one student from each of the Houston law schools.
Deadline: March 25, 2015.
- Stonewall Law Association of Greater Houston/Emerging Leader Award $ undetermined - SLAUGH recognizes that positive accomplishments of young LGBT leaders are vital to the success of the LGBT community as a whole. SLAGH is committed to supporting and cultivating emerging legal leaders. All December 2014, May 2015, and Summer 2015 law school graduates from the 3 Houston law schools are eligible to apply. Deadline: March 31, 2015.
- Babcock Partners Law Student Scholarship $ undetermined - available for all FT and PT currently enrolled law school students. Deadline: March 31, 2015.
- Howard Fox Memorial Law Scholarship Fund $ varies - The scholarship supports graduates of Berks County, Pennsylvania, high schools who are entering their second year at an accredited law school. Deadline: April 1, 2015.
- Amarillo Area Bar Foundation Scholarship $2000 - Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for admittance and have been born in, raised in, or currently reside in one of the 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle (the area covered by the Amarillo Area Bar Association. Deadline: April 1, 2015.
Susan J. Ferrell Scholarship Contest $ Full scholarship to The Sovereignty Symposium that will pay tuition, meals and travel to attend the Sovereignty Symposium - Applicants should demonstrate an interest in and contribution to Native American legal issues by an application letter. Deadline: April 1, 2015.
- State Bar of Texas Tax Section Scholarship $2000 - This scholarship is to assist these students with their financial needs, to facilitate and encourage students to enter the practice of tax law in Texas, and to become active members of the State Bar Tax Section. Deadline: April 3, 2015.
- Dallas Hispanic Law Foundation $undetermined - Awarded to worthy Hispanic law students. Deadline: April 14, 2015.
- Advancement of Animal Law Scholarships $2500- $5000 - Applicants should be committed to the advancement of animal law through active involvement with their SALDF chapter while in law school and anticipated participation in the field after graduation. Deadline: April 17, 2015.
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Scholarship range from $1000 - $5000 - Students studying energy, environmental, natural resource, and mineral law at schools holding membership in the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation. Deadline: April 27, 2015.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness/Law School Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a current or incoming law student at an accredited U.S. law school who has been affected by or dealing with issues related to lymphoma or leukemia (either himself/herself or a family member). Deadline: April 30, 2015.
- The Texas Energy Innovation Challenge (TEIC) team award $10K - Graduate students from inter-disciplinary academic programs at the major universities in Texas are challenged to bring research and imagination to help solve an existing energy problem for Texans. The participants in the Challenge will be presenting both a written proposal and oral presentation to an august group of evaluators in May 2015.
- Legal Scholarship Offered by Criminal Defense Attorney $1000 - Essay Topic: How do you see social media affecting the practice of law? Deadline: May 1, 2015.
- Accident Survivor Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must either be personally a victim of or has a family member (brother, sister, mother or father) who was the victim of a major accident. Deadline: May 30, 2015.
- DUI Victim Scholarship $1000 - Awarded to a law student attending (or planning to attend) an accredited law school who either personally was the victim of or has a family member who was the victim of an accident caused by a driver proven to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Deadline: May 30, 2015.
- Tad Nelson Law Firm Scholarship $500 - This scholarship is judged primarily on need basis, but does not exclude achievement standards. Deadline: May 31, 2015.
- Diversity Scholarship $2000 - Applicant must be a member of an ethnic, racial or other minority group who demonstrates a defined commitment to issues of diversity within their academic career. Deadline: May 31, 2015.
- Harris Personal Injury Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must have suffered a serious injury, and are committed to demonstrating a determination to rebuild their lives by attending college. Deadline: May 31, 2015.
- The Oklahoma Supreme Court and the Sovereignty Symposium, Inc. $ registration cost - Applicants should demonstrate an interest in and dedication to Native American law issues and the need for a scholarship in a simple letter of application to attend the symposium. Deadline: May 31, 2015.
- Oronoz & Ericsson Law Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a Nevada resident. Essay topic: Are texting and cell phone bans effective in reducing the number of distracted driving accidents? Deadline: June 12, 2015.
- Marine Appreciation – Law School Scholarship $1000 - To provide financial support to a law student whose life has been impacted by a family member serving in the Marine Corps and who is seeking to continue their education through law school. Deadline: June 30, 2015.
- Davis Levin Livingston Public Interest Scholarship $3000 - Awarded to students intending to pursue public interest law and add to the ranks of motivated young attorneys willing to consider a career as a public interest lawyer. Deadline: July 15, 2015.
- O'Connor Runckel & O'Mally Legal Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a full time, U.S. citizen with a 3.0 or higher gpa. Deadline: July 15, 2015.
- Bond & Botes Financial Hardship Scholarship $2000 - Open to any U.S. citizen attending the first year of law school this fall, with an undergraduate cumulative GPA at or above 3.0. Applicants are asked to submit a short essay describing how they have overcome financial difficulties in their lives. Deadline: July 16, 2015.
- LaMantia Law Firm Single Parent Scholarship $1000 - There’s a rising number of solo parents trying to do it all – raise their kids and keep their household afloat. We want to help. Our scholarship will be available to a single parent pursuing higher education (either a college or law degree). Deadline: July 27, 2015.
- The d’Oliveira & Associates College Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a U.S. citizen. Essay topic: Persuading young people on the dangers of drinking and driving. Deadline: July 30, 2015.
- The Tix Team 2014 Law Scholarship for Veterans $1000 - Veterans pursuing a Juris Doctor degree. Deadline: July 31, 2015.
- Law Scholarship $1500 - Essay Topic: Juries, the ultimate engine of social justice or not. Deadline: July 31, 2015
- Katz & Phillips Single-Parent Scholarship $1000 - awarded to a single parents pursuing a law degree. Deadline: July 31, 2015.
- Steinger, Iscoe & Greene Latin Heritage Law Student Scholarship $1000 - Awarded to a high-achieving Hispanic student planning to pursue a career in law. Deadline: July 31, 2015.
- Howell & Christmas, LLC Visionary Scholarship $1000 - Applicants will be judged on the content of their application, the essay they provide and on their academic merits. Deadline: July 31, 2015.
- Vision Zero Auto Awareness/Law School Scholarship $1000 - Awarded to students willing to focus on the issue of traffic safety. Deadline: July 31, 2015.
- Juvenile Justice Law School Scholarship $1000 - Nothing matters more in the early life of a youth charged with a crime than lawyers, legal professionals, and judges who are committed to defending the rights of the youth.
Deadline: July 31, 2015.
- Baumgartner Law Firm Scholarship $3000 - Awarded to a current or incoming law students based on need and commitment to helping others. Deadline: August 31, 2015.
- Empowering Women in Law $2000 - The scholarship is intended to encourage & support a female student in outstanding achievement & leadership by example from women in the field of law. To be awarded fall 2016. Deadline: December 31, 2015.
University of Houston Law Center
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
100 Law Center
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
School code 003652