Merit Scholarships for Entering J.D. Students
Dean’s Scholarships are offered to highly qualified students in each entering first-year class. These scholarships vary in number and amount each year, and are renewable under the terms outlined below. As part of the Dean’s Scholarship program, we also offer at least two Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships. The terms and criteria for the Teach for America scholarships are the same as those for the Dean’s Scholarship program, except that only current or former Teach for America corps members will be considered. Every applicant accepted for admission to the J.D. program is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required.
Criteria for Entering Student Scholarships:
Every J.D. applicant accepted for admission is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required. The following factors are considered when awarding merit scholarships:
- Applicant's academic record, including previous undergraduate and/or graduate institutions and test scores
- Applicant's letters of recommendation
- Applicant's demonstrated interest in obtaining an advanced degree as evidenced by the personal statement and other application materials
- Other relevant qualifications
Merit scholarships awarded to entering full-time J.D. students, including Dean’s Scholarships and Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships, are renewable for all three years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains continuous full-time enrollment and is in good academic standing. For part-time students, scholarships are for all four years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains a continuous part-time course load and is in good academic standing. If the student transfers from the part-time program to the full-time program, the scholarship will expire upon graduation from the JD program or at the conclusion of the fourth year, whichever comes first.
Scholarships are paid in two equal installments each year, one each for the fall and spring semester. No payment is made for summer enrollment. The scholarship will be applied to the student’s university financial account.
Dean's Award Ceremony
Each year, the UHLC offers several scholarships to currently enrolled students. During this ceremony, the Law Center recognizes student achievement in a number of areas. Submission deadline for 2015 TBA.
Outside Scholarship Sources
Applicants are encouraged to search for outside scholarships. Some suggestions are www.fastweb.com, www.aie.org individual organizations, sororities or fraternities, social clubs, religious or business organizations, employers of a parent, spouse or friend, foundations, town or city clubs, community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, YMCA, 4H Club, Elks, Kiwanis, Jaycees or girl & boy scouts. Any organization connected with your field of interest. Other options:
The Albert Schweitzer Fellowship – Houston Galveston $2500 Stipend - Seeks to develop Leaders in Service who are dedicated to improving the health and well-being of under served communities during their Fellowship year and beyond. Schweitzer Fellows design and implement their own 200-hour community service projects that address local unmet health needs, while also participating in monthly Fellowship activities focused on leadership development. We select a diverse group of 12 to 15 students each year from multiple schools and academic disciplines, including medicine, biology, education, engineering, law, nursing, optometry, public health, religion, and social work, among others.
The Fellowship is open to students enrolled in a graduate-level or professional degree program through April 2016. For more information contact Jennifer Cook, Director, at Jennifer.email@example.com. Applications are due February 1, 2015.
Applications on this site are also available on the scholarship literature
rack in the Student Services suite.
- Association of Women Attorneys Scholarship $2500 - Eligible applicants are any current second or third year female law student at a law school in Houston. Second Year Scholarship of $2,500 and Third Year Bar Review Scholarship of $3,500 will be awarded to deserving students from each of the three Houston area law schools (UH, South Texas and TSU). Submission deadline is January 31, 2015.
- Kenneth Ashworth Fellowship Program $? - The purpose of this program is to provide financial assistance to students enrolled in a master's and doctoral program leading to a career in public service. Submit application to Dean Tennessee by Friday, 2/13/15, by 4pm.
- Wheelchair Disability Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be permanently confined to a wheelchair and be willing to share his or her story with the general public. Submission deadline is February 28, 2015.
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation $1500-$15K - Criteria: Potential to make a significant contribution to the field of natural resources law; Academic ability; Leadership ability; Year in law school; Financial need. Application deadline is February 28, 2015.
- National Council of Jewish Women $? - Applicant must be preparing for a career in a health profession, education, community or social services, or Jewish Studies. Submission deadline is March 9, 2015.
- Cameron County Bar Association (CCBA) $2500 -The applicant’s financial need; personal, family, and educational background; personal statement; and participation in community service activities will be considered. Submission deadline/postmark date March 15, 2015.
- Interleges Award in Memory of Stephen Rayner 4000 EUROS - Essay: TRANSNATIONAL ADJUDICATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS: NATIONAL TRIBUNALS AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO INTERNATIONAL COURTS. Submission deadline is March 20, 2015.
- Howard Fox Memorial Law Scholarship Fund $ varies - The scholarship supports graduates of Berks County, Pennsylvania, high schools who are entering their second year at an accredited law school. Submission deadline is April 1, 2015.
- State Bar of Texas Tax Section Scholarship $2000 - This scholarship is to assist these students with their financial needs, to facilitate and encourage students to enter the practice of tax law in Texas, and to become active members of the State Bar Tax Section. Postmark deadline is April 3, 2015.
- The Texas Energy Innovation Challenge (TEIC) team award $10K - Graduate students from inter-disciplinary academic programs at the major universities in Texas are challenged to bring research and imagination to help solve an existing energy problem for Texans. The participants in the Challenge will be presenting both a written proposal and oral presentation to an august group of evaluators in May 2015.
- Legal Scholarship Offered by Criminal Defense Attorney $1000 - Essay Topic: How do you see social media affecting the practice of law? Submission deadline is May 1, 2015.
- Tad Nelson Law Firm Scholarship $500 - This scholarship is judged primarily on need basis, but does not exclude achievement standards. Submission deadline is May 31, 2015.
- Diversity Scholarship $2000 - Applicant must be a member of an ethnic, racial or other minority group who demonstrates a defined commitment to issues of diversity within their academic career. Submission deadline is May 31, 2015.
- Harris Personal Injury Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must have suffered a serious injury, and are committed to demonstrating a determination to rebuild their lives by attending college. Submission deadline is May 31, 2015.
- Oronoz & Ericsson Law Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a Nevada resident. Essay topic: Are texting and cell phone bans effective in reducing the number of distracted driving accidents? Submission deadline is June 12, 2015.
- Davis Levin Livingston Public Interest Scholarship $3000 - Awarded to students intending to pursue public interest law and add to the ranks of motivated young attorneys willing to consider a career as a public interest lawyer. Submission deadline is July 15, 2015.
- Bond & Botes Financial Hardship Scholarship $2000 - Open to any U.S. citizen attending the first year of law school this fall, with an undergraduate cumulative GPA at or above 3.0. Applicants are asked to submit a short essay describing how they have overcome financial difficulties in their lives. Submission deadline is July 16, 2015.
- The d’Oliveira & Associates College Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a U.S. citizen. Essay topic: Persuading young people on the dangers of drinking and driving. Submission deadline is July 30, 2015.
- The Tix Team 2014 Law Scholarship for Veterans $1000 - Veterans pursuing a Juris Doctor degree. Submission deadline is July 31, 2015.
- Katz & Phillips Single-Parent Scholarship $1000 - awarded to a single parents pursuing a law degree. Submission deadline is July 31, 2015.
Steinger, Iscoe & Greene Latin Heritage Law Student Scholarship $1000 - Awarded to a high-achieving Hispanic student planning to pursue a career in law. Submission deadline is July 31, 2015.
Howell & Christmas, LLC Visionary Scholarship $1000 - Applicants will be judged on the content of their application, the essay they provide and on their academic merits. Submission deadline is July 31, 2015.
- Baumgartner Law Firm Scholarship $3000 - Awarded to a current or incoming law students based on need and commitment to helping others. Submission deadline is August 31, 2015.
Applications on this site are also available on the literature rack in
the Student Services suite.
- Animal Law Writing Contest $ 2500 - Topic: a) Provide a constitutional analysis of the ordinance (Section 4-384-015, Municipal Code of Chicago) or b) Provide a constitutional analysis of the ordinance (Section 10.08.155, Los Angeles County Code). Submission deadline is February 15, 2015.
- Elliot Spoon Business Law Writing Competition $500 - Topic: Business or securities law article in law review format. Submission deadline is February 20, 2015.
- Stewart J. Guss Student Writing Award $1000 - Topic: What Law Would You Change and Why? Submission deadline is March 1, 2015.
- Louis Tertocha Fashion Law Writing Competition $1000 - Topic: Discuss a legal issue in the Fashion Industry. Submission deadline is March 23, 2015.
- Beveridge & Diamond Constitutional Environmental Law Writing Competition $2000 - Topic: Developments or trends in U.S. environmental law that have a significant constitutional or “federalism” component. Submission deadline is April 6, 2015.
- ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law $1500- $500- Topic: Any aspect of public or private sector labor and or employment law relevant to the American labor and employment bar. Submission deadline is May 15, 2015.
- Tannenwald Writing Competition $1500 - $5000 - Submitted papers must focus primarily upon technical or policy-oriented tax issues relating to any type of existing or proposed U.S. federal or state tax or U.S. federal or state taxation system. Submission deadline is 9 p.m., July 1, 2015.
University of Houston Law Center
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
100 Law Center
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
School code 003652