J.D. Admissions

Admissions Process for International Students

Applicants with Undergraduate Degrees Earned Outside the U.S. (J.D. Program)

The University of Houston Law Center requires foreign educated applicants to the JD program to submit their foreign transcripts through the Law School Admissions Council Credential Assembly Service (“CAS”).  This service is included in the LSDAS subscription fee.  If you completed any post-secondary work outside the U.S. (including its territories) or Canada, you must use this service for the evaluation of your foreign transcripts.  A Foreign Credential Evaluation will be completed by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (“AACRAO”), which will be incorporated into your LSDAS report.

The Law Center accepts both the TOEFL and IELTS exams.  TOEFL and IELTS scores should also be submitted to the CAS by the Educational Testing Service (ETS).  Your score will be included in your CAS law school report.

LSAC’s TOEFL code for the CAS is 8395.  The Law Center requires a score of 600 on the paper-based exam, or 100 on the Internet-based test. 

LSAC has also arranged with IELTS to receive scores electronically. LSAC only accepts scores submitted electronically by the IELTS test center. No paper Test Report Forms will be accepted. An institutional code is NOT required. Please contact the test center directly where you took the IELTS test and request that your test scores be sent electronically using the IELTS system.  The Law Center requires a score of 7.0 or higher on the IELTS exam.

The TOEFL or IELTS exam is only required of applicants who obtained their law degree from a country where English is NOT the official language.  If you earned your degree from a university where the courses are taught in English, we do not require the TOEFL or IELTS. 

To use the CAS, log into your LSAC online account and follow the instructions for registering for the service.  Be sure to print out a Transcript Request Form for each institution and send it promptly to them.  More time is usually required to receive foreign transcripts.  Questions about the CAS should be directed to LSAC at 215.968.1001, or LSACINFO@LSAC.ORG.

Any student who is not a U.S. citizen and holds a temporary visa (F-1 or J-1) is classified as an international student by the UH Law Center.  In addition to meeting standard admissions requirements, these applicants must submit the following:

  • Students who have earned their degree from a non-English speaking country are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam.  For the TOEFL exam, you must submit an official report of a score of 600 or higher on the paper-based TOEFL exam or 100 on the Internet-based TOEFL exam.  For the IELTS, you must submit an official report of a score of 7.0 or higher.
  • Non-U.S. citizens must include a copy of immigration documents (such as a current U.S. visa or permanent resident card) when submitting the application, if applicable.

Applicants with a foreign law degree may petition for credit toward their J.D. after they have completed the first-year curriculum. The Associate Dean for Student Affairs has the sole discretion to credit up to 30 semester hours.

Applicants who are neither U.S. citizens, nor permanent residents are designated as international applicants, as are applicants (including U.S. citizens) who have been educated outside the United States. Upon accepting an offer of admission, international applicants must pay a $75 fee to the Office of International Admissions (“OIA”) for student visa processing and foreign degree posting.