people's Lawyer


Son is mother's tenant

Question One of my brothers has lived with our mother for about a year. He pays her a sma ll amount each month to help with expenses. Things are not working out, and my m other wants him out. Can she just throw him out?
Answer In my opinion, your brother is a tenant, and your mother is his landlord. This m eans that she must give him proper notice to vacate, and has no legal right to j ust throw him out. I suggest she give him 30 days written notice to leave. If he still does not leave, she can file a forcible entry and detainer action in just ice court to have him evicted.