5297 Financing the Business Transaction - DOLE/DOLE/KEYES- 38604
Richard Dole (FACULTY)
Linda Dole (ADJUNCT)
David Keyes (ADJUNCT)
Course Areas: Business and Commercial Law
Time: 8:30a-10:30a Th Location: 3 BLB
Course Outline: SPRING 2013 “FINANCING THE BUSINESS” COURSE
Richard Dole, David Keyes, Esq. & Linda Dole, Esq.
Course Description and Prerequisite
Whether it is a mom-and-pop start-up or a billion dollar conglomerate, every business needs funds to operate and to grow. These funds are obtained through both infusions of equity and taking on debt. This course explores various types of debt financing that either utilize Article 9 collateral or are unsecured, and when each is appropriate. Customary loan documentation will be evaluated.
This course will promote an understanding of the preparation, negotiation, and purpose of loan documents, the legal considerations affecting loan documentation, and the parties customary obligations, rights, and remedies. We also will explore common alternatives and supplements to commercial lending transactions, like letters of credit and guaranties.
A two-hour course limited to twelve students. Secured Financing is a prerequisite.
(1) West, Selected Commercial Statutes (2012 Unabridged Ed.); and (2) materials supplied by the Instructors.
Course Syllabus: Syllabus
Course Notes: Quota = 12
Professor Richard Dole, Linda Dole, and David Keyes. Course Materials:
(1)PURCHASE: West, Selected Commercial Statutes (2012 Unabridged Ed.); and
(2) materials supplied by the Instructors.
Prerequisites: Yes Secured Financing
First Day Assignments: FINANCING THE BUSINESS
Assignment for Thursday January 17, 2013
(1) Read and be prepared to discuss the Scenario; the Term Sheets Overview; the Scenario Short Term Sheet; and the Explanation of the Scenario Short Term Sheet.
(2) Also read and be prepared to discuss pp. 1-3 of Pamela J. Martinson, “Bank Financing” 1410 PLI/CORP 771.
(3) As counsel for Honey Badger Foods, Inc. (the Borrower) what issues not dealt with by the Scenario Short Term Sheet would be of major concern to you?
(4) Please answer the following questions about the Scenario Short Term Sheet: (a) To what extent is the Short Term Sheet binding upon the parties; and (b) To the extent that the Short Term Sheet is not binding, can Honey Badger Foods, Inc. (the Borrower) disregard it?
All the referenced documents should have been e-mailed to you. To the extent that you have not received all or some of the documents, please request them from April Simmons. April’s e-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Final Exam Schedule: 05/07 9-11am 113 BLB
This course will have:
Satisfies Skills Course Requirement: No
Satisfies Senior Upper Level Writing Requirement: No