Spring Break? Not for these UHLC advocates
The Law Center team celebrates its success in the commercial arbitration competition held in Hong Kong. Members are: Benjamin Cohen-Kurzrock, left, Yong Eoh, Emily Banse, Vladi Hennessee, and Coach Ann Ryan Robertson.
April 1, 2015 – While some students spent Spring Break lying on a beach, visiting friends, or just relaxing at home, a number of overachieving University of Houston Law Center students were triumphantly waving the Blakely Advocacy Institute banner from courtrooms to classrooms and from Houston to Hong Kong.
“An unprecedented display of skill, dedication, and success for our program,” said Jim Lawrence ’07, director of the institute.
Accolades go to:
- Melissa Broadway and Randy Roeser: Regional Champions, Giles Rich IP Moot Court Competition in Houston. The team now advances to the national rounds in Washington, D.C., in mid-April. Coaches: UHLC alumni, Will Sprott and Allan Bullwinkel.
- Andi Levy, Kyle Seabolt, and Amy Westergen: 2nd Place, (tied with University of Texas School of Law), National Health Law Transactional Moot Court Competition in Chicago, IL. The team was assisted by Daniel Sternthal (Seyfarth Shaw).
- Katie Dugat, Best Speaker, and Kyle Rafferty, 2nd Best Speaker: National Energy and Sustainability Competition in Morgantown, WV. Coach: Perry McConnell, UHLC alum.
- Daniel Ray, Best Speaker, and Leah Buenik, 2nd Best Speaker: John R. Brown Admiralty Competition in Charlestown, SC. Coaches: UHLC alumni, Tanner Honea, John Unger, Casey Holder, and Jim Winton (BakerHostetler).
- Yong Eoh, 2nd Best Speaker, and Benjamin Cohen-Kurzrock, 6th Best Speaker: Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Moot in Hong Kong. The competition included 108 teams from around the world, including 193 candidates for speaker awards. UHLC team ranked 2nd overall to Australia’s Bond University in the oral presentations. The Law Center was one of only four U.S. teams to make the elimination rounds (top 32 teams) and receive awards for writing and speaking. The other U.S. schools reaching this level of achievement were Harvard, NYU, and Arizona State. Coaches: Ann Ryan Robertson, UHLC alum, JD/LLM, and Lucy Greenwood.
- Pierce Cox: Best Speaker, Catholic University of America Immigration Law Competition in Washington, D.C., Coaches: Susham Modi, a clinical supervising attorney in the UHLC Immigration Clinic, and UHLC alums, Sushant Mohan and Evan Blankenau.
Back to News Homepage