6347 Healthcare Policy - Kathleen Rubinstein- 19936
Students must see the Office of Student Services for registration services.
Course Areas: Non-Law Courses
Time: 5:30p-8:30p TH Location:
Course Outline: The course number is: PUBL 6347.
Healthcare Policy Seminar
Kathleen P. Rubinstein, MPA, Instructor
Thursdays 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Instructor Information Kathleen P. Rubinstein, MPA
This course explores the role of government in organizing, financing and delivering healthcare in the U.S. and prepares students to apply policy analysis tools and approaches to contemporary health policy issues and problems.
• Overview of the U.S. healthcare system and the role of government in healthcare
• The breath and diversity of the policy environment including key policy actors and institutions
• The dynamics of the policy process within a federal system of government
• The evolution of the U.S. healthcare system and past attempts at healthcare reform
• Conflicting ideas and values associated with the distribution of healthcare resources
• Strengths and dysfunctions of a third party payment system for healthcare
• The insured, the uninsured and access to care issues
• National health expenditures — How much? What value? Why are healthcare prices impossible to know?
• Government health insurance programs – Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP
• The promise, politics, pitfalls and challenges of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
• How the courts influence policymaking and implementation of the ACA
• Emerging policy topics and issues as determined by the class
Group discussion assignments
Policy analysis paper (in lieu of a final exam)
Course Notes: This course is taught by Professor Kathleen Rubinstein. Please see her bio at: http://www.bakerlaw.com/KathleenPRubinstein.
Law students may need permission from the Public Administration Program to enroll in the class. Contact: Dr. Toshi Yuasa (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 713-743-3931). Please contact Derrick Gabriel for registration information at 713-743-2189.
First Day Assignments:
Final Exam Schedule:
This course will have:
Satisfies Skills Course Requirement: No
Satisfies Senior Upper Level Writing Requirement: No
Experiential Course Type:
Bar Course: No