5314 Lawyering Skills and Strategies - B4 - PILLER- 26889
Ruthie Piller (CLINICAL FACULTY)
Course Areas: 1st Year - Section B
Time: 9:00a-10:30a M,W Location: 211 TUII
Course Outline: Lawyering Skills and Strategies I will focus on an introduction to the American legal system and the skills and strategic planning lawyers must possess to succeed within it. The curriculum will be problem – based, using fact-pattern simulations to enable students to work through actual practice skills and strategies and ethical issues. Training in essential lawyering skills such as oral communication, legal writing, research and analysis will be embedded within fact pattern simulations involving typical transactional issues which students will work through to develop lawyering skills and problem-solving strategies. Students will be divided into small groups to represent opposing sides of the problem.
Course Notes: **UPDATE: There is a new edition of the Interactive Citation Workbook for the BlueBook. The ISBN is 9781630435905. The title will be used in all the 5314 courses.
First Day Assignments: Lawyering Skills and Strategies Fall 2014
Professor Ruth Piller, Section B4
First Day Assignment:
1. Pick up Supplementary Packet available in the Lawyering Skills and Strategies Office.
2. Read Course Information in the Supplementary Packet.
3. Please complete “About You” and bring to our first LSS class.
4. Read Tabs 1, 2 & 3 in the Supplementary Packet.
5. Read pages i-iv in your textbook: Successful Legal Analysis and Writing: The Fundamentals.
Final Exam Schedule:
This course will have:
Satisfies Skills Course Requirement: No
Satisfies Senior Upper Level Writing Requirement: No
Course Materials (7/18/2014 9:31:56 AM)