You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:

  • U.S. citizen
  • US national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • US permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)

If you are not in one of these categories, you must be an eligible noncitizen, and you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

  • "Refugee"
  • "Asylum Granted"
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • "Parolee" (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than temporary purpose and intend to become a citizen or permanent resident.)

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible for federal student aid.

If you are in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, you are not eligible for federal student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible.

International students can apply for a private loan that may require a U.S. (creditworthy) cosigner.

SCHOLARSHIPS (Foreign LL.M. Students)

For possible funding sources, check:

  • With your home country for Fulbright Scholarship opportunities
  • With your home country for Rotary International Scholarships
  • With your government in your home country
  • With your employer

There are a limited number of merit-based scholarships awarded to non-US lawyers admitted to the LL.M. program at the University of Houston Law Center.  Scholarships may be program-specific and the number that is available may vary from year-to-year.