Law and Religion: Cases and Materials (Foundation Press, 2d ed. 2010)
Updates to Griffin's Law And Religion Since the January 2011 Supplement
Law and Religion: Cases in Context (Aspen, 2010)
Read the Table of Contents to learn which prominent law and religion scholars have written about the leading First Amendment cases.
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Ordained Discrimination: The Cases Against the Ministerial Exception” at SSRN: see http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1936073
- Religion and the Courts 1790-1947, will be published in the Cambridge History of Religions in America (Stephen J. Stein, ed.). Learn how the early federal and state courts handled early disputes among Christians over property and then struggled with the diversity of religions in America in important cases involving Native Americans, Slave Religions, Mormons, Christian Pacifists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Scientists, and Catholics. Read chapter.
- How Smith Protects Women’s Equality, 32 CARDOZO L. REV. 1831 (Symposium on Employment Division, Dep’t of Human Resources of Oregon v. Smith, 494 U.S. 872 (1990)).
- Snyder v. Phelps: Searching for a Legal Standard, 2010 CARDOZO L. REV. DE NOVO 353 (Online Symposium on FUNERALS, FIRE AND BRIMSTONE).
- Fighting the New Wars of Religion: The Need for a Tolerant First Amendment, 62 MAINE L. REV. 23 (2010).
- Good Catholics Should Be Rawlsian Liberals, 5 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA INTERDISCIPLINARY LAW JOURNAL 297 (1997).
- Political Reason, 22 ST. JOHN’S JOURNAL OF LEGAL COMMENTARY 493 (2007).
- Fundamentalism from the Perspective of Liberal Tolerance, 24 CARDOZO LAW REVIEW 1631 (2003).
- “We Do Not Preach. We Teach.”: Religion Professors and the First Amendment, 19 QUINNIPIAC LAW REVIEW 1 (2000).
- The Relevance of Religion to a Lawyer’s Work: Legal Ethics, 66 FORDHAM LAW REVIEW 1253 (1998). Link to SSRN
- Religious Sanctity and Political Power, in THE LEGACY OF BILLY GRAHAM: REFLECTIONS ON AMERICA’S GREATEST EVANGELIST 107-21 (M. Long, ed., Westminster John Knox Press, 2008).
- Bohatch v. Butler & Binion, in LEGAL ETHICS LAW STORIES 55-87 (D. Rhode & D. Luban, eds., Foundation Press, 2005).
- Declaration on Religious Liberty, in MODERN CATHOLIC SOCIAL TEACHING: COMMENTARIES AND INTERPRETATIONS 244-65 (K. Himes, ed., Georgetown University Press, 2005).
- American Catholic Sexual Ethics 1789-1989, in PERSPECTIVES ON THE AMERICAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, 1789-1989 231-52 (S. Vicchio & V. Geiger, eds., 1989); reprinted in C. Curran & R.
- “Religion and Politics 2008-2009,” 25 JOURNAL OF LAW AND RELIGION 205 (2009-2010) (review essay).
- “Religion and Politics 2004-2007,” 23 JOURNAL OF LAW AND RELIGION 321 (2007) (review essay).